So I didn’t have time to write about anything fun and exciting for you this week. Forgive me. I barely had time to think this week. BUT what I am going to give you is the recipe for the delicioussssss nuggets I whipped up for my family a few weeks ago. Since we don’t have a very nice weekend coming up unfortunately, grilling out might be out of the question, and these yummy little nugs can be made right in the oven!
I just love chicken so much. I could eat it all by itself every day and never get tired of it. (Okay, fine, with lots of ketchup. My weakness.) However, most people don’t feel that way and think that it can get pretty “blah” if you don’t mix it up every now and then. That includes my roommates (or parents – whatever you want to call them), so when I decided to cook them dinner one night, I thought they might like to have something more exciting than just chicken on the grill. That’s when I came up with this concoction, and I must say, it was a huge success! Mom and dad approved. Yay!
Here we go:
Healthy Chicken Nuggets (it’s a little better than whole wheat breaded nuggets, although that was very accurate and descriptive…)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken tenders (I bought tenders, but you could also buy breasts and cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/3 cup Egg Beaters
Hint: if you have ever made the “Pretzel Crusted Chicken Tenders” recipe on my blog, the process is basically identical.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces or small “nuggets”.
- Pour whole wheat flour into a shallow dish.
- Add Egg Beaters (or beat 2 eggs) into another shallow dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs and seasonings into a third dish.
7. Place each piece of chicken into the flour and coat completely.
8. Then dip in egg and let any excess drip off.
9. Transfer chicken to the breadcrumb and spice mixture and coat completely.
10. Arrange breaded chicken nuggets on prepared baking sheet.
11. Place in the oven and set timer for 20 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through.
12. Remove from oven when chicken is cooked through, or reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165 F.
Enjoy along with lots of yummy veggies! As you can see, I had mine with sautéed green beans (seasoned with garlic, onion, and chili powder, along with slivered almonds), roasted carrots, and whipped cauliflower! Recipes for the last two are also posted on my blog – type into the search bar or go to “Side Dishes & Dips” recipe page. 🙂
Have a great weekend! You deserve it. ; )