Next up on our list of healthy Super Bowl LI recipes is this addicting, lightened up spinach dip! Instead of loading it up with sour cream & mayo like traditional spinach dip, this version includes a hefty amount of plain Greek yogurt (the MVP of healthy substitutions), which adds lots of protein, and no fat! And guess what? It’s equally delicious. Dip all your favorite veggies in it to keep it on the low-cal side.
This recipe was inspired by yet another Registered Dietitian friend over at Chelsea LeBlanc RDN — click the link to head to her site & see the original version!
Skinny Spinach Dip
Prep time: 10 minutesCook time: 15 minutesTotal time: 25 minutesServes: 8
- 12 oz bag frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
- 8 oz reduced fat plain cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp traditional hummus
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional — but gives it a nice, subtle kick!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare a skillet with non-stick cooking spray, and sautee frozen spinach over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until completely thawed. Transfer to a fine mesh strainer and press down using paper towels to drain excess liquid.
3. Combine spinach, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, hummus and spices in a large bowl, and mix well.
4. Transfer spinach dip to a glass or ceramic pie dish using a spatula to spread evenly, then top with shredded Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake for 12-18 minutes or until the cheese and edges are golden brown. (Mine was ready closer to 15 minutes, but all ovens cook a little differently, so be sure to check on it!)
Serve with whole wheat pita/crackers and assorted veggies. I love mine with baby carrots and whole grain Triscuits!
Here’s a few shots of me whipping up this Skinny Spinach Dip! Head to my Instagram @wellnessforthewin to see an awesome video that @TailgateTourist put together of the making of this recipe! Then give us both a follow so you don’t miss out on the rest of our Super Bowl recipes. 😉
Just because they are everyone’s favorite… Here are some more dips!
A few other dips that I love and make on the reg for tailgates / parties / etc. include Greek Yogurt Corn Dip, Southwestern Black Bean Dip, & Homemade Guacamole. Head to my “Side Dishes & Dips” recipe page to snag these recipes!
We still have two more recipes to share with you that fall under the finger foods and chili categories! So stay tuned for more delicious eats and videos to come!
Shanna Stewart, RD LD