The name says it best, you guys. These babies are H-O-T. I would highly recommend having some water, milk, or a cold one nearby. If you do not tolerate spicy food, I would just stay far, far away from this recipe. 😉 But if you love extra hot wings, then this recipe is for you!
Cauliflower is such a rockstar vegetable. Not only is it packed with nutrients, but it is probably the most versatile veggie out there. It can be transformed into “mashed potatoes”, pizza crust, rice, tater tots, breadsticks, and now buffalo wings!? Seriously, what more could you want in a vegetable? Okay, brace yourselves. Here we go.
Flamin’ Hot Cauliflower Buffalo Wings — recipe adapted from PopSugar Fitness
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon melted butter (I use Smart Balance light buttery spread made with EVOO)
- 1 bottle of Tabasco hot sauce (5 fl oz)*
*You may be able to substitute a different type of hot sauce to make these a little milder; however, I chose Tabasco because it was significantly lower in sodium. It contains ~35 mg per 1 tsp., vs. >400 mg per 1 tsp. for most of the others I found! THAT’S RIDICULOUS. But, this part is totally your call. I’m not being dramatic when I say the straight Tabasco is freaking hot… consider yourselves warned.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, water, and garlic powder. Whisk together until smooth.
- Toss cauliflower into batter, making sure to coat each piece as much as possible (I found it easiest to use my hands for this part), then place battered cauliflower on a baking sheet covered with foil and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. (I highly recommend using foil for minimal clean-up!) Bake for 15 minutes, tossing halfway through. Tongs were helpful for turning the cauliflower.
3. In the meantime, combine melted butter and hot sauce in a large bowl, regularly stirring. When cauliflower is done, remove it from the oven and gently toss it in the hot sauce mixture. Place cauliflower back on the baking sheet and cook for an additional 15 minutes until it becomes crispy, again flipping florets over halfway through. Allow cauliflower to cool before serving.
Enjoy — and good luck with this heat!
Serve cauliflower wings with this Skinny Greek yogurt ranch dip from Well Plated. This will help cool them down a bit!
Follow me on Instagram at @wellnessforthewin, as well as my friends at @TailgateTourist so you can stay up-to-date on all of our upcoming collabs in 2017!
We have one more Super Bowl LI recipe coming your way! It’s an oldie but a goodie, and one of my most popular recipes EVER! Can you guess what it is?! Stay tuned. ; )
Shanna Stewart, RD LD