No Bake Energy Bites

Happy Fri-YAY everyone! We made it through yet another work week, which means we are that much closer to spring!

I don’t know where you’re reading this from, but it is about to be unseasonably warm in Kansas City this weekend (up to 70 degrees on February 17th!?), and I cannot wait to get outside and enjoy it! So if it is just as beautiful wherever you are, I hope you are able to get out there and soak it up! Ethan and I will definitely be hitting the dog park with our pup at least once; little Harley is going to be happy as a clam. He just loves to run and play and fetch after sticks that are way too big for him.


I am so excited and beyond ready for warmer days. I know for a lot of people it’s so much easier to fit physical activity in during the warmer months, and overall, we are just way more motivated when the weather is nice and the sun is shining. I know I am anyway. So I want to encourage you all to capitalize on every opportunity to go and move your body! Trust me, it will thank you. Then after you get in some good exercise, you can refuel with some of these delicious energy bites!

This is one of the first recipes I shared back when I started my blog almost two years ago. (Where has the time gone?!) These bites have also been one of my favorite go-to, healthy snacks since that time.

I found the original recipe on Gimme Some Oven and never looked back. They do not disappoint, people. I love to eat them as a pre-workout, post-workout, or honestly, anytime snack. Let’s face it; I’m one hungry gal. I definitely eat between meals, and I also really love bedtime snacks. These are perfect for all of the above, and best of all, they do a great job of satisfying my sweet tooth, because yes, I have one of those too. If I have a batch of these energy bites around, you can bet I’ll be eating at least two every day, if not like… eight. ; )

My favorite part about these bites is that they are totally guilt-free. 90% of the ingredients are great for you, providing healthy fats, protein, and fiber, and the other 10% provide that balance that all of us need in life. Yes, I’m talking about chocolate. Everyone should treat themselves to a little bit of chocolate (or whatever your favorite thing is; mine would be ice cream) almost every day, because it’s good for the soul. Just don’t overdo it. That is the key.


Since I’ve been making these babies for a few years now, I have mixed up the recipe several times. It’s pretty versatile and sometimes I don’t have certain things on hand so I’ll substitute something else that’s “close enough” and it always just works. Don’t you love it when that happens? The main things you don’t want to mess with are the peanut butter and honey, because they are quite literally the glue that hold these things together. I think I’ve finally nailed down my favorite version of these bites, so I thought I’d go ahead and share my most updated and frequently made recipe with you! Get excited, you guys.

No Bake Energy Bites

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp hemp seeds
  • 2/3 cup original Grape Nuts cereal*
  • 1/2 cup organic ground flax chia blend (or ground flaxseed)
  • 1/3 cup pure raw honey
  • 1/3-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

*The original recipe calls for coconut flakes; I personally am not a big fan of coconut and the Grape Nuts give an extra crunch, as well as some extra protein & fiber. However, if you’re a big coconut fan, go for it! You could also probably substitute unsweetened dried cranberries here.

Yes, that is a Sam’s Club sized jar of honey.

Instructions:

  1. Combine all ingredients in a medium-large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
  2. Place bowl in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to chill.
  3. Remove from refrigerator and form into balls (about 1″ in diameter, or desired size.)
  4. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Makes 20-25 bites.

Nutrition Information per bite (based on 25 bites per batch):

  • 90 calories
  • 4.5 g fat (1.3 g polyunsaturated, 1.7 g monounsaturated)
  • 11.4 g carbs (1.9 g fiber)
  • 2.3 g protein

Have a great weekend!

Shanna Stewart, RD LD

#wellnessforthewin #energybites

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “No Bake Energy Bites

  1. They actually work well as a travel treat. And for a man, they are a bite. Women might try to make a Small meal out of them. At home, they are the tastiest when refrigerated, imo. But a great recipe, for sure!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s