Mexican Veggie Quinoa with Chicken
Mexican Veggie Quinoa is loaded with healthy ingredients, quick and easy to make, and makes great leftovers for work lunches!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 6 servings
For The Mexican Veggie Quinoa
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 can black beans no-salt-added, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup corn kernels frozen or canned (drained and rinsed)
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles drained
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional - for spicier dish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 avocado halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Optional toppings: Mexican shredded cheese, salsa, plain Greek yogurt, tortilla chips
For The Chicken
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package lean ground chicken or ground turkey, or two baked chicken breasts, shredded
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Heat olive oil or avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and jalapeno, and cook, stirring frequently with a spatula or wooden spoon, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in uncooked quinoa, broth, black beans, tomatoes, corn, bell peppers, and spices; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir well to combine.
Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 18-20 minutes.
While Mexican Veggie Quinoa mixture is cooking, prepare the ground chicken. Heat olive oil/avocado oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add raw ground chicken. Season with spices, stir and cook until meat is cooked through. Drain any fat/liquid as needed.
Once quinoa is done, stir in avocado and lime juice. Add chicken to the large skillet with quinoa, stir until evenly incorporated. Serve immediately.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Calories: 382kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 250mg | Potassium: 1082mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 510IU | Vitamin C: 30.2mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 4mg