Small changes eventually lead to big results.
Q. WHAT ARE SOME HEALTHY HABITS THAT ENCOURAGE KIDS TOWARDS HEALTHY LIVING IN A NATURAL & AUTHENTIC WAY?
- Encourage your kids to be active every day, as this can help with both their physical and mental health, and they will be more likely to continue this habit into adulthood. Try to take advantage of good weather as a family.
- Limit use of electronics so they are spending less time viewing pictures or messages that may create stress or negative body image, and more time with family and/or friends who make them feel good about themselves.
- Eating as a family has been shown to improve nutrition and healthy eating behaviors. Make family dinners a priority whenever you can.
- Eat the rainbow! Try to encourage them to include a variety of colorful foods (fruits & veggies) throughout their day.
- Get them in the habit of having a water bottle with them, so they are more likely to choose water over other sugary beverages.
- Encourage your kids to do things that truly make THEM feel happy and fulfilled (i.e.: encourage your son to play baseball if he really loves it, not just because Mom or Dad want him to and he feels pressured and is actually stressed out by it)
- Promote body kindness as much as possible. If you hear your daughter or son say something negative about their bodies, address it – do NOT ignore it. Tell them that they are beautiful and strong just the way they are, and that their weight does not define their worth. Have conversations around this as much as you need to.
- Encourage them to be social and hang out with friends who have similar values and make your kids feel good while they are together. Socializing rather than being isolated is important in adolescence for mental health.
Your health is about so much more than what you eat, how much you weigh, or the size of your jeans. It’s about surrounding yourself with people who support your goals and let you know that you are enough, just as you are, and those same people will help you better yourself in positive, not harmful, ways.