This Creamy Veggie Pasta Skillet is simple to make and you will not be disappointed with the flavor of the delicious cream sauce made with Silk Unsweet Almondmilk!
Now is a great time to make recipes that are easy to customize with what you have on hand since we are taking less frequent grocery trips. People have been relying on pasta dishes more than ever lately, and honestly, I can get on board with that!
I always love pasta — just add some veggies and protein and you have a tasty, balanced meal!
Disclosure: this recipe was created in partnership with Silk and I am being compensated for social promotion. As always, all opinions expressed are my own. #sponsored
veggies to use in this pasta skillet
Now that it’s getting warmer, more fresh veggies are starting to be in season – YAY! You can truly add any and all veggies that you love to this recipe!
I used the following vegetables:
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
I also cooked them in that order based on how long they take to cook. I cooked the garlic & onion first, by themselves and then set aside. Then, I added the carrots and asparagus with some broth and let those cook for a few minutes.
Next, I added the zucchini slices with another splash of broth, and last, I added the cherry tomatoes, since I knew those would require the least amount of time. You can adjust accordingly based on the veggies you decide to add!
Other veggies you could add:
- Summer squash
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Bell peppers
- Baby spinach
- And more!
how to make creamy sauce for this veggie pasta skillet
This white cream sauce is super easy to make.
All you do is add 2 Tbsp of butter or ghee to your skillet, then 2 Tbsp of whole wheat (or all-purpose) flour, and stir constantly. I like to use a silicone whisk so I don’t scratch my pan!
Next, add in your vegetable broth and Silk Unsweet Almondmilk, and continue to stir constantly. Lastly, fold in your Parmesan (or Mozzarella) cheese. Stir until the sauce begins to bubble and thicken. Then, add your veggies and pasta back in to combine!
I surveyed my audience on Instagram to see if people prefer long spaghetti noodles or shapes, like penne, and tons of people responded with “it depends”. Most people said that if it is being served hot with a white sauce, they prefer spaghetti noodles. So that’s what I used!
With that being said, you can use any pasta you have in your pantry! Shapes would work great, too. You could even try using a chickpea pasta for a little more protein.
Creamy Veggie Pasta Skillet
- 8 oz whole wheat spaghetti noodles dry
- 2.5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 white onion large, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 bunch asparagus cut into 1-2" pieces
- 1 zucchini thinly sliced, cut in half moons
- 1 cup carrots peeled, sliced thin diagonally (2 large carrots)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 3 Tbsp vegetable broth low sodium
- Salt and pepper to taste
Creamy White Sauce
- 2 Tbsp ghee or butter
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 cup Silk Unsweet Almondmilk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan more as desired
- 3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook according to package instructions. When pasta is done cooking, drain in a colander and rinse with water.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil in a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and minced garlic; stir occasionally and cook until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add another small drizzle of olive oil, then add chopped carrots and asparagus, 2 Tbsp vegetable broth, and cook/stir for 4-5 minutes. Then add sliced zucchini + 1 Tbsp of vegetable broth. After you have cooked zucchini for 2-3 minutes, add cherry tomatoes and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Once all veggies are slightly browned and crisp, transfer to large bowl with the cooked onion and garlic.
- In the same large skillet, add 2 Tbsp ghee or butter, 2 Tbsp of whole wheat flour and stir constantly with a whisk.
- Add 3/4 cup vegetable broth and 1 cup of Almondmilk and stir constantly until sauce begins to boil and thicken.
- Stir in 1/2-3/4 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese and 3/4 tsp Italian seasoning.
- Next, add cooked vegetables back in with the sauce, as well as the drained pasta and stir well until everything is evenly coated with the sauce.
- Serve hot. Top with more Parmesan if desired.
- One serving is roughly 1.5 cups. Recipe yields about 6 servings. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
I hope this Creamy Veggie Pasta Skillet becomes a new favorite in your household! Tag me in your creations on Instagram at @wellnessforthewin and pin this recipe on Pinterest to refer back to later!
Thanks for reading — enjoy!