Easy Chicken Enchiladas with Black Beans
’tis the season for all of the nourishing, yet SIMPLE, meals, am I right? ALDI USA and I wanted to bring you a healthy recipe that you could whip up for your family using grocery staples you likely already have on-hand! Today I present to you delicious, Easy Chicken Enchiladas!
Disclosure: this post is sponsored by ALDI USA and I am being compensated monetarily; however, all opinions expressed are my own. #ALDILove
Ingredients needed for these easy chicken enchiladas
I was able to use things I already had on hand that I typically pick up as staples from my local ALDI for this recipe!
Like I mentioned, you probably already have most, if not all, of the items you need for these chicken enchiladas! Here is the ingredient list:
- Chicken breasts
- Fit & Active Whole Wheat Tortillas
- Simply Nature Organic Black Beans
- Casa Mamita Diced Tomatoes + Green Chilies
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Casa Mamita Restaurant Style Salsa
- Optional toppings: avocado, cilantro, plain Greek yogurt
simple swaps you can make in this recipe
If you do not have some of the ingredients in this recipe, you can make the following substitutions!
- No black beans? Sub refried beans or kidney beans
- Use white, yellow or red onion – whatever you prefer or have on-hand!
- No cans of diced tomatoes & green chilies combined? Add some chopped bell peppers and/or jalapeños instead.
- No whole wheat tortillas? White tortillas will do!
- Don’t have chicken breasts? Try ground chicken or turkey – or make vegetarian!
- You can use any type of shredded cheese — Mexican, sharp cheddar, etc.!
- Sub enchilada sauce in place of salsa if you’d like or have some in your pantry
Easy Chicken Enchiladas with Black Beans
For The Chicken:
- 1 lb chicken breasts cooked, shredded
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
For The Enchiladas:
- 15 oz Simply Nature Organic Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 10 oz Casa Mamita Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies drained
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 10 Fit & Active Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese divided
- 16 oz Casa Mamita Restaurant Style Salsa divided
- 1 avocado diced
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Cilantro to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray an oven-safe 9×13 pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Note: you will be able to fill a 9×13 with 8 enchiladas + have some leftover filling to use as a salad topper or for taco bowls! You could also use two 9×9 pans to make 10 enchiladas total.
- Add chopped onion to a medium skillet over medium-high heat and cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. When finished, transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Season chicken breasts with 1/4 tsp each of: garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin and add salt and pepper to taste. Add the seasoned chicken to the skillet you used to cook the onion over medium-high heat. Cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. (Internal temperature of chicken should be 165 degrees F.) You can also prep the chicken in advance using a slow cooker if you'd like.
- When finished cooking, use a fork and knife to shred the chicken.
- To the large bowl with the cooked onion, add the rest of the filling: shredded chicken, black beans, diced tomatoes & green chiles, and 1 cup of the shredded Mexican cheese. Use a spoon to mix everything well.
- Pour 1 cup of salsa on the bottom of the 9×13 pan and use a spatula to spread it out evenly.
- Scoop about 1/2 cup of the chicken/veggie mixture into each whole wheat tortilla. Roll them tightly and place them seam side down in the pan. You should be able to fit about 8 enchiladas in the 9×13 pan.
- When they are all rolled up, add 3/4 cup of salsa on top of your 9×13 pan of enchiladas and use your spatula to spread it out evenly.
- Top all of the enchiladas with roughly 3/4 cup of shredded cheese.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil and place in oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and serve hot. Add any additional toppings if desired. Serving size is 1-2 enchiladas.
Click here for more information about ALDI USA. This recipe used ingredients that I always make sure to stock up on during my regular trips to ALDI. Be sure to tag us on Instagram at @wellnessforthewin and @aldiusa if you try this recipe!
Also, pin this recipe on Pinterest so you can easily refer back to it in the future! We can’t wait to see your creations!
Stay safe and healthy, and thanks for reading!
These are so tasty, easy & affordable to make! Shanna is the best because she makes recipes that are healthy and budget friendly – something important to me as a recent college graduate & soon to be grad school student.
Thanks for the delicious recipe! 🙂 this will be a regular meal for me & I can’t wait to try more recipes!
Thank you so much, Hannah! Budget-friendly (but still delicious) meals are always my goal!! So happy my recipes fit the bill for you. 🙂
This is a recipe I’ll be making again soon! It was easy to make, affordable ingredients, healthy, and sooo yummy. I also love the extra filling left overs – I am going to try making quesadillas with it tomorrow!
Yay!! I LOVE that idea of using the leftovers for quesadillas – I might have to do the same soon! 🙂 Thanks for your feedback!
Another 5 star recipe from wellnessforthewin! I have tried so many of Shanna’a recipes and they never disappoint. I used ground chicken because it’s what I had on hand and it turned out great! All the salsa makes this recipe so yummy!
Aww, thank you so much!! I’m so glad you loved it! So versatile and delish! 🙂
Relatively minimal prep and super tasty results! My husband and I have made these a couple of times now and they make great leftovers, too!
Leftovers are the best! Thank you for sharing!
So easy and delicious!
These enchiladas are full of flavor! I made them for family in town. My husband and I had the leftovers tonight and still delicious the second time. Yum!
Aw, yay!! Thank you so much for your review and for sharing with your family! So glad you all loved them!
I made this Monday night for dinner with the Costco chicken my husband shredded. Had the leftovers on Tuesday and they were even better the next day. My husband loves this so we will be making again – so easy!
Ahhh, yay!!! So easy and delish! And love good leftovers. 🙂 Thank you so much for this review!
Freakin delicious! My husband and I both loved these. He told me they were the best enchiladas I’ve ever made. Super happy about the fact that there are leftover enchiladas and filling!
That is such an amazing compliment! Yay! Thank you for sharing! 🙂