At-Home Chipotle Burrito Bowl
This At-Home Chipotle Burrito Bowl is one of the first recipes that I published on my blog back in 2015. I cannot believe it has been that long! Ever since I posted my Healthy Southwest Chicken Enchilada Bake, this recipe kinda fell to the back burner — no pun intended. 😉 I whipped it up again last night and now I’m a little sad that I haven’t been making it way more often the past few years! I forgot how delicious and easy it is. Ethan even boldly stated that he likes this better than the enchilada bake (which he has always loved), so this might be our new go-to Mexican recipe for a while. We tend to go through phases. Anyone else?
I made a few changes to the recipe this time around, as I always do with my super old recipes. When it comes down to it, I think I’m just really bad at actually following recipes. I’m constantly trying to think of ways that I could enhance things and make them just a little bit tastier or healthier. This time that meant adding in a whole onion and some canned tomatoes. You can never have too many veggies if you ask me!
As the name states, this recipe has just about everything that you would find in a burrito bowl from Chipotle, but probably far less sodium. I swapped out sour cream for plain Greek yogurt, used low sodium (or no-salt-added) black beans, and I season the chicken with spices like garlic powder, chili powder, cumin and black pepper. It is still bursting with flavor!
This recipe also makes 6-8 servings, and probably still costs less than one single burrito bowl from Chipotle. So not only are we well-fed for dinner one night, but we also have lunches for the next couple days. These are ALL of the things I look for in a recipe! Simple, healthy, delicious AND work lunch leftovers. Yaaaaasssss, please!
Are you intrigued yet?
At-Home Chipotle Burrito Bowl
- 1 lb chicken breasts boneless, skinless; cut into bite-sized pieces
- Chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper to season
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (3/4-1 cup uncooked)
- 3/4 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 15 oz can no-salt-added black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles drained and rinsed
- 1 red or green bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa of choice
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- cilantro, avocado slices, chopped red onions, salsa
- First, season chicken with garlic powder, chili powder, cumin and black pepper and cook in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook brown rice.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Pour all ingredients into a large bowl except cilantro. Stir until well combined.
- Transfer to a 9×13 baking dish (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) and top with extra cheese if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from oven and add desired toppings and garnishes. Serve immediately, or store in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I love to serve mine up with crushed tortilla chips and more hot salsa on top! I also highly recommend adding avocado or guacamole, if you’re an avocado-lover like me. I’m just impatiently waiting for mine to ripen so I can eat the leftovers with some avocado on top. ; )
I want to see some of you whipping this recipe up in place of tacos for Taco Tuesday this week! As always, tag me @wellnessforthewin and hashtag #wellnessforthewin so I can see your creations, or pin this recipe on Pinterest so you can refer back to it!
Have an amazing week!
These are great! Thanks for sharing!
Absolutely! Thank you so much! 🙂
So good! Even my toddler loves it 🙂
Amazing!!! That’s a win in my book! 🙂
Delicious! I made this as a meal prep for a quick work week lunch and it was totally worth it! I used all the suggested toppings too but I think next time I’ll add a squeeze of lime juice and then it will be perfect!
Yay! I love that idea! 🙂 Can’t beat an easy lunch option! Thank you so much for sharing!