Classic Pot Roast Recipe
The holiday season is upon us and although it is the most wonderful time of the year, it can also be a very busy and stressful time for many. Amidst all the chaos, you still have to get dinner on the table for your family, and this Classic Pot Roast Recipe is perfect for doing just that! It’s easy to throw together, and tastes just how mom used to make it!
This meal is hearty, delicious, nutritious and requires very little effort, thanks to the best invention ever: the slow cooker. Most importantly, it’s super affordable to make, because all the ingredients are from my favorite store, ALDI!
Disclosure: this post is sponsored by ALDI USA and I am being compensated monetarily. However, as always, all opinions expressed are my own.
ingredients needed for this classic pot roast
You only need a few ingredients to make this recipe come to life and I love that ALDI is a one-stop-shop for everything I needed! Their produce is always amazing quality, and I have been loving this Little Salad Bar Fresh Peeled Garlic. SO convenient for busy people like me! I’ve used these in several recipes, including my Tomato Mango Bruschetta! This bottom round roast was super affordable, too.
What you need:
- Black Angus USDA Choice Beef Bottom Round Roast
- Yellow Onions
- Medley Potatoes
- Garlic Cloves
- Simply Nature Organic Beef Bone Broth
- Salt & Pepper
- Stonemill Italian Seasoning
- Stonemill Brown Gravy Mix
As a mom of a 10 month old, I also love that this recipe is baby friendly. Everything gets super soft and tender, so it’s easy for babies to eat! If you want, you can hold off on adding any salt until after you serve it up for yourself so it’s appropriate for little ones, and leave the gravy off of their portion.
classic pot roast: step-by-step instructions
Did I mention that this Classic Pot Roast is super simple to make? Here are the steps below, plus some pictures, for those of you who like to have a visual!
First, wash your produce. Thinly slice onions, half or quarter the potatoes, and chop carrots into 2″ strips (or chunks/rounds – whatever you like!). Chop up garlic.
Spray the inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray, then spread sliced onions and garlic across the bottom of slow cooker.
Add roast on top, then season with fresh cracked salt and pepper. Note: if you want, you can trim some of the fat from the roast prior to cooking – this is optional and based on personal preference. However, I have found that it is almost easier to trim off AFTER cooking, and can help create some juices during the cooking process. Up to you!
Next, add the chopped potatoes and carrots on top and spread around the roast. Season with more salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Pour beef broth on top, close the lid and turn slow cooker on.
The cook time will vary based on size. Set slow cooker to cook on high for 2-4 hours, or low 4-6 hours (or more). I recommend cooking low and slow if you have the time.
Cook to an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit, so adjust cooking time as needed. Check temperature earlier rather than later to avoid overcooking. You want it to be nice and tender.
Once the roast has reached 145 degrees Fahrenheit, take 1/4 cup of the juices that have been created to make your gravy. Follow instructions on the packet.
Use a large slotted spoon to scoop out the vegetables so you can easily shred or slice the meat.
Once it has been shredded/sliced, add vegetables back to the slow cooker, and serve warm. Drizzle some of the juice from the slow cooker on top of your meat & veggies, if desired, and/or serve with the brown gravy.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Classic Pot Roast Recipe
- 3 lb Black Angus USDA Choice Beef Bottom Round Roast
- 2 medium yellow onions thinly sliced
- 4-5 whole large carrots chopped
- 1 bag medley potatoes 24 oz, halved or quartered
- 10 Little Salad Bar Fresh Peeled Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 cup Simply Nature Organic Beef Bone Broth
- Fresh cracked salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Stonemill Italian Seasoning
- 1 packet Stonemill Brown Gravy mix
- Spray inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread sliced onions and garlic cloves across the bottom of the slow cooker. Next, add roast on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread chopped potatoes and carrots around the roast. Add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to taste, and pour beef broth on top.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8, or high for 3-4 hours, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit. I recommend cooking low and slow if you have the time.
- Once it has reached the appropriate temperature, remove about 1/4 cup of the juices from the slow cooker to make your brown gravy. Follow instructions on the packet.
- Next, scoop vegetables into a bowl so you can shred or slice the roast. Once this is done, add vegetables back to the slow cooker, and serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
I hope you enjoy this Classic Pot Roast recipe as much as we do! Please be sure to tag us at @wellnessforthewin and @aldiusa on Instagram so we can see your lovely creations!
Click here to find an ALDI store near you so you can snag all the ingredients you need.