Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
This recipe is something that my mom and I used to make YEARS ago, so whipping it up again made me nostalgic AF. I believe it was a Hungry Girl recipe that we made back in the day, so that is what inspired this version! I hope you are as obsessed with this Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast as I am!!!
I’m not sure what all of a sudden reminded me of this recipe, but I have been on a Homemade Chia Jam kick ever since I posted the recipe around Thanksgiving. Ethan and I also have whole grain toast with cream cheese and jelly on it on the reg, so it kinda just hit me that this combo is BOMB on French toast, too!
NOTE: if you have never tried cream cheese + jelly on toast before, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO IT. Preferably on this French toast, but really any toast will do. Best combination ever.
French toast is such a simple and delicious thing to make for breakfast on the weekends, and it’s always a crowd pleaser. With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, this would be the perfect thing to make your honey for V-Day brunch! Just throw some strawberries on top and coffee on the side. ; )
ingredients needed for this cream cheese stuffed french toast
French toast is also great because you probably have everything you need to make it!
- Almond milk or regular milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Whipped Cream Cheese (can use regular cream cheese too, but we love whipped!)
- Jelly/Jam of choice (preferably this delicious homemade version! You can use any berries you like.)
what kind of bread makes the best french toast?
Some people say that slightly stale bread is best for French toast, but I don’t think that’s totally necessary. I just think the kind of bread you’re using is important.
I personally recommend using a hearty, whole-grain bread such as Dave’s Killer Bread or the Seedtastic bread from ALDI. The slices are a good size and taste just delicious soaked up in the French toast mix.
is french toast healthy?
It definitely can be! This French toast is pretty darn healthy (AND satisfying) if you ask me.
- whole grains from the bread
- fruit from the jam (click here for my homemade chia jam recipe, and/or from additional fruit you serve with it)
- some protein from the eggs and/or nut butter on top
- healthy fats from nut butter and/or other nuts served on top. (I recommend adding walnuts for some crunch and omega-3s!)
Obviously, syrup will add some extra sugar and calories, but it will also add deliciousness and happiness, and that stuff is good for the soul. ; ) So don’t be afraid to add some pure maple syrup!
Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
- 8 slices 100% whole grain bread
- 8 Tbsp whipped cream cheese
- 8 Tbsp jam or jelly
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or cow's milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Optional toppings: creamy almond butter, pure maple syrup, additional berries, walnuts, etc.
- Lay out two slices of bread per person eating. Spread 1 Tbsp of whipped cream cheese on one half and 1 Tbsp of jam/jelly on the other half. Place the two pieces together.
- Heat up a griddle or large pan on the stove top over medium-high heat. Coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Next, add 2 eggs, almond milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon to a medium-sized bowl. Use a whisk to mix well.
- Dip one of the sets of cream cheese/jam-stuffed bread into the egg/milk mixture, and coat both sides evenly. Then, transfer to the pre-heated griddle.
- Cook bread slices until browned on both sides. Repeat for each set of bread. Add more liquid and/or cinnamon to the mixture as needed.
- Serve hot and add additional toppings as desired, such as creamy almond butter, maple syrup and walnuts.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Please be sure to tag me in your Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast creations! I can’t wait to see what combinations you all come up with. Tag @wellnessforthewin or #wellnessforthewin on Instagram so I can repost you, and pin this recipe on Pinterest so you can refer back and make it again!
Thank you and enjoy!
I mean, can you even be mad about a recipe with cream cheese?! No way. This was so yummy! I couldn’t get the bread to crisp up like I’d prefer so the texture was a bit mushy. I only had a strawberry preserves which was too sweet but Shana’s homemade chia jam would have been perfect! I topped with a drizzle of maple syrup and fresh berries. A fun twist on a classic. Enjoy!
Mmm, thank you for that review! So yummy! Making sure the pan is nice and warmed up before you put the bread on to cook can help get it a little crispier, too! Thanks so much for trying it! 🙂
Never have I ever thought about using cream cheese this way and man, have I been missing out. We used a blackberry jam from a local farm, but eventually need to try the cranberry chia jam with it. We love breakfast foods, so this was a great meal to add in the rotation.
Woo hooo!! Isn’t it so delicious!? I might have to make some this week now. ; ) Also, you can always make the chia jam with frozen mixed berries too and it tastes delicious either way! Enjoy! 🙂
I’m going to try this recipe in the next couple of days. The only jam I have on hand right now is peach and habanero. How do you think that will work in this recipe?
I made this recipe today, but I only had a Habanero Peach jam so I used it. I paired it with some bacon and a Bloody Mary. It was so incredible. Thank you for the recipe.
Ooh, yum!!! Very unique flavor combo – I’m so glad it turned out to be delicious!! Might have to try a savory blend like that too. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!