I am so excited to share this Quick and Easy Beef Chili Recipe with you today! This recipe is made on the stove top and takes less than 45 minutes from start to finish (and 15 of them are just cook time!), which makes it a great weeknight dinner option.
I don’t know about you, but during these bitter cold winter months, a big, hearty, warm bowl of chili just sounds SO comforting. Especially since I’m on cold number, I don’t know, three or four for the winter? WOOF. Anyone else?
Ethan had a little cold a few days ago and I was determined to avoid it, and yet, here we are. I think I’ve blown my nose a good 58 times today. But I know that’s not what you’re here for.
no slow cooker needed for this quick and easy beef chili recipe
Don’t you hate it when you have intentions of making a meal in the slow cooker, but then you get halfway through the day and realize you forgot to put everything in it that morning?! Yeah, same.
I think it’s nice to have a non-slow cooker option for nights when you do have a little bit of time to cook. Don’t worry — it’s still quick & easy to make. You could even do a little bit of the prep work (i.e. chopping veggies) the day before so it’s even quicker to throw together!
bye, bye food rules — see ya never
I’ve had my blog for almost five years and this is the first ground beef recipe I’ve shared. I want to go ahead and apologize for that. I will fully admit that there were a few years I was afraid to eat beef/red meat in general due to food rules I had created for myself.
Thankfully, that’s not the case anymore. Now I recognize that red meat can absolutely fit in an overall healthy and balanced diet. It contributes so many beneficial nutrients including iron, zinc, vitamin B12, and several other B vitamins, not to mention high-quality protein.
what beef is best for chili?
Honestly, any type of ground beef will do in this recipe. You could even substitute ground chicken or ground turkey if that’s what you prefer!
For the past several months, I have partnered up with Seven Sons Farms and tried a variety of their grass-fed, pasture-raised products, including the beef.
For this Quick and Easy Beef Chili Recipe, I used their chili-seasoned grass-fed ground beef and it did not disappoint!
If you’re interested in checking out all of their products, click here. They deliver straight to your doorstep, which is one of my favorite parts. It’s also a family-owned farm that uses regenerative farming practices and they are very transparent about their practices.
You can watch lots of behind-the-scenes videos on their website and/or take a virtual tour of the farm. It’s great quality meat and I feel good about feeding it to my family!
Disclosure: I have worked on sponsored Instagram posts in partnership with Seven Sons Farms; however, this blog post is not sponsored. Just sharing a product I genuinely love and believe in!
ingredients needed for this quick & easy beef chili
- Ground beef, duh (however, you could also use ground chicken or turkey)
- Diced Tomatoes
- Bell Peppers
- Black Beans
- Kidney Beans
- Beef Broth
- Optional toppings: avocado, shredded cheese, plain Greek yogurt, salsa, corn chips, chopped red onions
I used half black beans & half kidney beans here because Ethan claims he “dislikes kidney beans”. So in an attempt to make my husband happy, but still keep this a somewhat traditional chili recipe, I used both.
I also added a few jalapenos because we love spice! If you don’t, simply omit these. Instead of adding carrots, like Joyful Healthy Eats did to her recipe, I went with sweet potato chunks, because y’all know my love for SPs runs deep.
what inspired this beef chili recipe
I combined a few different chili recipes that I have made and loved over the years and made a few tweaks and additions of my own.
Skinny Taste has an amazing turkey chili recipe in her Fast & Slow Cookbook that we LOVE that has pumpkin in it, so that’s what inspired me to add pumpkin here. Don’t worry; if you’re not a big pumpkin fan, it’s very subtle and you can barely notice it. But it adds some great nutrition and makes the chili nice and creamy!
I hope you love this delicious combination of flavors and textures! Also, the corn chips on top are definitely a non-negotiable. So. Good.
Quick and Easy Beef Chili Recipe
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 jalapenos diced
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1.5 Tbsp chili powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sweet potato large, cubed
- 1 cup bell peppers chopped
- 20 oz diced tomatoes with green chiles drained
- 8 oz tomato sauce no-salt-added
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 can black beans drained, no-salt-added
- 1 can kidney beans drained, no-salt-added
- 1.5 cup beef broth low sodium (add more broth if you prefer less chunky chili)
- Optional toppings: shredded Mexican cheese, avocado, plain Greek yogurt, salsa, corn chips
- Heat a large dutch oven to medium high heat.
- Add in about 1 Tbsp avocado oil and chopped onions. Saute until onions are translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add in minced garlic and diced jalapenos. Saute for 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring the whole time.
- Add in the thawed ground beef. Cook until beef is no longer pink. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to smash and stir the whole time until meat is broken up.
- Next add in the spices: onion powder, paprika, cumin, chili powder and salt and pepper. Stir the spices into the meat until everything is combined.
- Add in the bell peppers and sweet potatoes; cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Next add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, pumpkin puree, beans and beef broth. Stir until everything is incorporated, then cover.
- Keep the heat at medium high and cook for 15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Serve hot! Add desired toppings, such as avocado, shredded cheese, plain Greek yogurt, salsa, corn chips, etc.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Please show me all of your warm and cozy, quick and easy beef chili creations! Be sure to tag @wellnessforthewin and/or #wellnessforthewin on Instagram so I can repost you, and feel free to share the love and save this on Pinterest!
If you have a chance to make it, I would SO appreciate it if you could take two minutes to leave a rating and review! That helps people find my recipes and determine if they are going to stop and try them out. ; ) As always, I’m open to any and all feedback!
Thank you in advance and ENJOY!