Homemade Cranberry Chia Jam
It’s hard to believe that the holidays are right around the corner, and yet, here we are, already halfway through November! Once Halloween is over, I’m officially in the holiday spirit, brainstorming recipes and gift ideas and humming Christmas songs under my breath. Since Thanksgiving is almost here, I wanted to kick things off by sharing this Homemade Cranberry Chia Jam recipe, made with ingredients from my one and only, ALDI USA.
Disclosure: this post is sponsored by ALDI USA and I am being compensated for social promotion. As always, all opinions expressed are my own. I only work with brands that align with my mission and vision for Wellness For The Win. Thank you for your support!
Homemade Cranberry Chia Jam > Cranberry Sauce From A Can
Cranberry sauce is one of those dishes that gets put out mostly out of obligation every Thanksgiving, but no one ever touches it. I can assure you that will NOT be the case with this Homemade Cranberry Chia Jam. Combine it with a dollop of butter on some soft, warm Hawaiian sweet rolls and mm-mmm. It’ll be fighting the sweet potato casserole for the spotlight.
I don’t know about your family, but rolls are a BIG deal at our Thanksgiving dinner table. We even have this special tradition centered around rolls. My uncle sits at the head of the table with a basket full of the delicious, warm bread, and whenever someone wants a roll, they let him know and he will throw it to them, no matter how far away they are seated. Read: all the way across the room.
We have a fairly athletic family, so it usually goes well. But when it doesn’t… the 5-second rule definitely applies. Unless one of the 12 dogs that are present beats you to it, of course. ; )
things to love about this cranberry chia jam
In case I have to convince you, here are some reasons why you’ll love this jam.
- It’s quick and easy to make. Seriously — only 20 minutes or so and you’re jammin’!
- You can make it in advance. Ain’t nobody got time to make jam on Thanksgiving Day. Whip this up a few days ahead of time and store in the fridge in a cute little mason jar until you’re ready to serve it up.
- It’s healthy. Thanksgiving Day is all about balance if you ask me, so not every dish has to be totally nutritious; however, if I can get some fruit, fiber & healthy fats in while eating something super delicious, count me in.
- It’s full of fall flavors. Cranberry + orange is a super popular fall flavor combo, so I decided to switch things up a bit and go with a cranberry + apple mixture, along with a hint of cinnamon. I think you will love it.
- It’s incredibly affordable to make using ALDI ingredients!
Other Dishes To Whip Up This Thanksgiving
Have I mentioned that I absolutely love Thanksgiving food? Seriously, it’s all so good, especially the side dishes. Sweet potato casserole has been at the top of my list for about five years and counting, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Besides delicious sweet rolls with butter & cranberry chia jam, obviously.
As you may or may not know, I do the vast majority of my grocery shopping at ALDI all year round. Why would I go anywhere else for the holidays? They have everything you need & more for your family’s feast this year, and the prices are unbeatable, per usual.
This can be a stressful time of year, especially financially, with the pressure of decorating, purchasing gifts and other special commitments that tend to pop up around the holidays. Save money by shopping at ALDI so you can afford to splurge a little on fun activities this year. Or, use those extra dollars to buy even more delicious goodies at ALDI to contribute to your family’s Thanksgiving dinner, or to someone in need.
On my trip to ALDI, I also grabbed all of the ingredients to make:
- Cornbread Stuffing using their Chef’s Cupboard boxed mix — I added chopped onion, celery and carrots to sneak some extra veggies in
- Easy Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes using a head of cauliflower or Season’s Choice Riced Cauliflower, along with some milk and butter
- Sweet Potato Casserole — ALDI has the best prices for sweet potatoes, and I love using their pecan halves for this healthier recipe!
- Classic Pumpkin Pie — ALDI has a Baker’s Corner Pumpkin Pie Mix, so all you have to do is add the eggs and Baker’s Corner Evaporated Milk! Who has time to measure all those different spices, anyway? ; )
- Roasted Veggies — I love roasted Brussels sprouts all the time, and they make a great side dish addition to your Thanksgiving feast.
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies — we all need a little something sweet on the holiday, and these cookies are healthy-ish and so yummy.
Are you ready for the recipe for the Homemade Cranberry Chia Jam? Are you as excited as I am? I hope so! Here we go.
Shout out to Veggiekins for the inspiration!
Homemade Cranberry Chia Jam
- 2 cups cranberries fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup 100% apple juice
- 1/4 cup Specially Selected 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp Simply Nature Chia Seeds
- Add cranberries, apple juice, maple syrup, vanilla extract and cinnamon to a small saucepan (all ingredients except chia seeds). Cook over medium heat until the cranberries start to burst, around 6-8 minutes.
- Use a potato masher or other utensil to break the remaining cranberries, and remove from heat. Let cool for 10-15 minutes. Taste the mixture to make sure you're happy with the sweetness and consistency.
- If you want your jam to be totally smooth, transfer cooled mixture to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth (about a minute). If you're okay with some chunks, go ahead and transfer the jam to a large mason jar, and add your chia seeds. Stir well to incorporate.
- Set aside to thicken for a few hours or leave overnight to thicken in the fridge.
- Serve Homemade Cranberry Chia Jam on L’Oven Fresh Hawaiian Sweet Rolls with Countryside Creamery Unsalted Butter from ALDI.
- Other tasty options: on toast with whipped cream cheese, or a PB&J!
- Store in the refrigerator in a sealed mason jar for 2 weeks.
I hope you all love this Homemade Cranberry Chia Jam recipe, as well as all of the other Thanksgiving finds at ALDI USA this year! Be sure to head to your local ALDI to see everything they have in store. Click here to find a location near you.
If you try this recipe, be sure to tag us in your creations on Instagram & Facebook at @wellnessforthewin and @aldiusa, and share the love by pinning this recipe on Pinterest.
I made this at Thanksgiving and gave to friends at Friendsgiving and it was a WIN! We proceeded to put it on everything: turkey, rolls, dipped in chocolate squares toast/bagels in the AM, you name it. Why have I not been making my own jam all along?! I love that Shana has found healthier alternatives to things we all love and then added something like the super powers of chia to really punch it up. This recipe is a keeper, y’all!
Ah, I’m so glad you feel this way!!! I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make my own jam and how much more satisfying it is, too! I’ve been matching new batches ever since Thanksgiving and haven’t looked back! 🙂
I made this at Thanksgiving and gave to friends at Friendsgiving and it was a WIN! We proceeded to put it on everything: turkey, rolls, dipped in chocolate squares toast/bagels in the AM, you name it. Why have I not been making my own jam all along?! I love that Shanna has found healthier alternatives to things we all love and then added something like the super powers of chia to really punch it up. This recipe is a keeper, y’all!
I made this at Thanksgiving and gave to friends at Friendsgiving and it was a WIN! We proceeded to put it on everything: turkey, rolls, dipped in chocolate squares, toast/bagels in the AM, you name it. Why have I not been making my own jam all along?! I love that Shanna has found healthier alternatives to things we all love and then added something like the super powers of chia to really punch it up. This recipe is a keeper, y’all!
I absolutely love this recipe! It’s so easy and so much better tasting than store bought. I’ve substituted berries as well as the cranberries and it always is good!
Ahh, yay! So glad to hear that! I completely agree — I don’t know if I will ever buy jam again, haha! Thank you for your feedback!! 🙂
Have you tried this recipe with blueberries? I think that’s what I will do.
I haven’t made it with 100% blueberries, but I think that would be totally fine! Most often I will use frozen mixed berries, so that typically includes blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries, which is also delicious! But any berry should work great. 🙂
Delish!!!! Put on toast with goat cheese… such a yummy savory breakfast!
Yum, love that idea!! I’ll have to try that soon! 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing and for your review!
This is delicious. I made this with the frozen berry mix from Aldi. My husband is a jam snob lol, and loved it. He couldn’t tell there wasn’t a ton of sugar added in either. Yum, yum, yum!
Yay! Love hearing this! I’ve been making mine with the frozen berry medley from ALDI lately, too – works so well! Thanks so much for sharing!
If I could rate this higher, I would! This cranberry jam is absolutely delicious & ridiculously easy to make. Good, quality, simple ingredients & tastes AH-MAZING!! It’s incredibly versatile too. Currently loving it in my cinnamon spice oatmeal with a spoonful of nut butter & some hemp seeds. The cranberry jam gives it the perfect added sweetness. Thanks for the recipe!
Awww, THANK YOU! This is the best review! I really appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback and I’m so glad you’re loving it! Totally agree – so delicious in oatmeal!! Thanks again! 🙂
I did 1.5x this recipe (I had extra cranberries) and only used half the chia seeds (too much bothers my tummy) and it is SO GOOD! Finally had cranberries around to try this. Can’t wait for toast tomorrow morning. Also thinking it’d be great with a Turkey sandwich.
Ahhh, yay! Love hearing that! I agree- definitely want to try it on a sandwich! Turkey and cheese panini with this on it…. YUM!
Oh my this is soooooo good! Definitely will make this from now on instead of buying jam. I like this wayyy better and honestly so easy! I used fresh berries this time but can’t wait to try with frozen too.
YES, it’s a game changer! So much better made fresh! Thanks for your review!! 🙂