How To Promote Sustainability
Let’s talk about how to promote sustainability. It’s no secret that plastic is a problem in our society today. It is everywhere, and it’s negatively affecting human health, as well as the environment.
Many of us are doing what we can to reduce single-use plastic in our everyday lives; however, more can be done. I am far from perfect, but I’m consciously making an effort to reduce waste as well. Baby steps add up, so don’t discredit small changes! I’m going to tell you how you can start making a difference today, and how adidas already is through their Run For The Oceans campaign.
Disclaimer: adidas reached out to me to raise awareness of what they are doing to help the environment, but I am NOT being compensated in any way for promoting this. I just like supporting brands who are trying to do some good in the world! : )
how adidas is trying to help the environment
See the graphic below to learn more about adidas’ partnership with Parley. Their goal is to decrease plastic in the ocean by repurposing it and using it in their products.
- The problem: plastic waste winds up in our oceans, polluting the water and killing animals, only to eventually make its way back to us through the food we eat (and the micro plastic in them).
- adidas involvement: in order to address the problem, adidas paired up with Parley for the Oceans to repurpose the millions of pounds of plastic currently polluting the world’s oceans. Instead of remaining waste, they found a way to reuse the plastic.
WHAT IS SUSTAINABILITY?
Sustainability is a word that gets thrown around a lot these days, but I’m not sure if everyone fully understands what it means.
The definition of sustainability is: “avoidance of the depletion of natural resources in order to maintain an ecological balance.”
Essentially, how can we live and consume in a way that allows our environment to continue to thrive? Unfortunately, I know there is a lot of finger-pointing and blaming going on in our society today regarding this topic. Frankly, I don’t think that is helpful.
What I do think is helpful is understanding the impact that we have as an individual. It’s helpful to know how we can start to make positive changes in a way that is realistic for us. Naturally, some changes will be easier than others. Sometimes all it takes is a reminder that we do have the power to make a difference. Each one of us.
Click here for 10 Things You Can Do To Promote Sustainability.
how to reduce single-use plastic to promote sustainability
I have personally been making a conscious effort to reduce single-use plastic by doing several of the things listed below. I’ll be the first to admit that I still have a long way to go. However, I have already made huge improvements simply by being more aware and more intentional about it.
I hope these simple tips below will help you get started!
- Purchase a reusable water bottle, like these cute ones from Healthy Human! (affiliate link). Using a plastic water bottle occasionally might be inevitable, but if this is a daily occurrence for you, it’s time to invest in a reusable tumbler!
- Healthy Human also has stainless steel reusable straws perfect for sipping coffee
- Purchase reusable silicone bags, rather than plastic bags – these are awesome for packing work lunches + they are microwave and dishwasher safe
- Bring reusable tote bags to the store, rather than getting plastic bags at checkout. Since I do most of my shopping at ALDI, I have been SO much better about this. I LOVE that they encourage you to bring your own bags. All stores need to follow their lead!
- Don’t put all of your produce in individual plastic bags. Use your reusable tote bags, or consolidate them all in one plastic bag rather than multiple. Just be sure to wash your produce really well once you are home, as you should anyway. 🙂
- Use glass containers to pack food and snacks in your lunch box, rather than Ziploc bags. Click here for my favorite set.
- Support brands that are trying to make a difference by incorporating recycled plastic into their products, like adidas! Other brands will have to start doing the same to keep up. : )
My friend Morgan Barrett is very passionate about this topic. She has several blog posts that might be helpful if you’re interested in learning more about how you can make a difference. Click here to check out her blog.
HOW YOU CAN support ADIDAS with runtastic
adidas is using recycled plastic from the ocean in some of their clothes and shoes, but that’s not all.
They also just finished collaborating with Runtastic, a running app, for the second year in a row. From June through July, runners around the world come together to show their commitment to this cause using the app. Last year, adidas contributed $1 USD for every kilometer run and capped at one million dollars.
This year, adidas contributed $1.5 million to the Parley Ocean School to help educate youth on the perils of plastic pollution and enable them to reshape the world we live in – for the better. Click here to learn more about it.
how to promote sustainability: now what?
CLICK HERE, HERE or HERE to check out the adidas + Parley products that you can purchase to support this movement.
If you want to download the Runtastic app and participate next year, click here!
I hope this got you thinking about the impact you are making daily, and what changes you could make now to take better care of the Earth. : ) If you have more ideas or things that you currently do to reduce plastic or live more sustainably, drop them in the comments!
Thank you for reading!
Personally I love Adidas too (wearing them now TBH) Its great to do everything you can to reduce the amount of plastic.. I’ve been buying some shirts that are made mostly of recycled bottles and they are great for travel too! I would love to be able to wear some fully sustainable Adidas. that’s cool news – thanks for sharing!
Yes, I love that! Thank you for reading – so glad you agree!! 🙂