This Healthy Chicken Enchilada Bake is easy and fun to make, full of good-for-you ingredients, and it is delicious! It also makes awesome leftovers for easy work lunches!
ingredients needed for this healthy chicken enchilada bake
Here are the ingredients you need for make this recipe!
- Chicken breasts
- Corn tortillas
- Bell peppers
- Yellow onion
- Black beans
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Optional toppings: avocado, cilantro, shredded lettuce, tortilla chips, etc.
equipment needed for this healthy chicken enchilada bake
This recipe is really easy to make, and you don’t need any fancy equipment! This is all you will need:
- A very large skillet
- Cutting board(s)
- Sharp knife for cutting chicken and vegetables (or my favorite veggie chopper)
- Oven-safe 9×13 pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Spatula or wooden spoon for stirring
why i love mexican recipes
I don’t know if you guys have noticed, but I am a little obsessed with Mexican food. It never disappoints! I love that it is always pretty easy to make Mexican dishes healthy. Making simple swaps such as brown rice for white rice, whole grain tortillas for white flour tortillas, plain Greek yogurt for sour cream, and adding beans and/or lots of veggies can really up the nutritional value.
This helps me enjoy them that much more. I just love it when food tastes good and happens to be good for me. It’s a win-win! You don’t have to sacrifice flavor in order to fuel your body well.
healthy additions to this chicken enchilada bake
My mom & I decided to swap plain Greek yogurt for sour cream in this recipe. We also added lots of extra veggies, because you can never have too many! You could even throw in some jalapenos or other veggies if you wanted. Feel free to make it your own!
Why this Chicken Enchilada Bake is part of our regular meal rotation:
- It is freaking delicious
- Incredibly easy to make
- Makes BOMB leftovers for work lunches
This recipe was inspired by one we found by Kraft Foods. I hope you all love this version as much as my family does!
Healthy Chicken Enchilada Bake
- 12 yellow corn tortillas 6-inch
- 1 lb chicken breasts boneless, skinless; cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 15 oz no-salt-added black beans canned, drained and rinsed well
- 1 cup whole kernel corn frozen
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1.5 cups Mexican finely shredded cheese
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Cilantro, avocado slices, tortilla chips, shredded lettuce, additional salsa, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add cut up chicken, bell peppers and onion to a large skillet. Season with various spices (chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper). Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Then stir in salsa, black beans and corn until well-combined and heated throughout. Turn down heat and let it simmer for a few minutes to cook off some liquid.
- Arrange 6 corn tortillas on the bottom of the 9×13 inch pan, then layer half of the chicken and veggie mixture, half of the Greek yogurt, and half of the cheese. Spread evenly across the top.
- Add another layer of 6 corn tortillas; then repeat layers of remaining ingredients. Add additional cheese on top layer, if desired.
- Cover pan with foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil after 30 minutes, then bake for an additional 10 minutes (40 minutes total or until heated throughout and slightly browned on top).
- Garnish with cilantro if desired. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. This would likely freeze well, too!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Please be sure to tag me in your creations on Instagram at @wellnessforthewin and pin this recipe on Pinterest so you can come back to it in the future! Enjoy! 🙂