Today I am sharing the recipe for a delicious, healthy summer pasta salad. It is extremely quick and easy to make, full of good-for-you ingredients and is a perfect side dish to make for gatherings. It also works well for work lunches alongside a source of protein!
Disclosure: this post is sponsored by ALDI and I am being compensated monetarily, but as always, all opinions expressed are my own.
ingredients needed for healthy summer pasta salad
This recipe doesn’t require many ingredients, and you can easily mix things up depending on your personal preferences and/or what you have on hand. I have provided some other suggestions below, too!
Ingredients I used:
- Rotini pasta
- Red onion
- Yellow bell pepper
- Medley tomatoes
- House vinaigrette
- Dried basil leaves
- Parmesan cheese
Substitutions and/or other add-ins:
- Feel free to use any pasta shape/variety you have on hand; bowtie, fusilli, penne, etc.
- Italian dressing is another popular choice for pasta salad
- Add chopped up pepperoni, summer sausage or salami for a meat lover’s option
- Other mix-ins: olives, raw broccoli, mozzarella balls, fresh basil, feta cheese, scallions
which pasta is best for pasta salad?
It is ideal to use small shapes for pasta salad, such as rotini, fusilli, penne, bowties, etc., as opposed to long pasta noodles, since they are easy to serve and their little folds are perfect for catching the dressing and herbs mixed in!
is pasta salad healthy?
Pasta salad can definitely be a healthy option! You can use a hearty, whole grain pasta, and all of the fresh vegetables mixed in make it a very nutritious choice. The oil-based vinaigrette dressing provides some healthy fats, as well. Just be sure to add some protein to your plate to balance things out!
how long does homemade pasta salad last in the fridge?
I would recommend storing this pasta salad in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to four days.
Healthy Summer Pasta Salad
- 1 lb Reggano rotini pasta cooked, al dente
- 2 cups cucumber cubed (or 1 large)
- 1 cup red onion chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup medley tomatoes halved
- 1 cup Specially Selected Gourmet House Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 Tbsp Simply Nature Organic Basil Leaves
- Stonemill fresh cracked salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Emporium Selection Shredded Parmesan Cheese optional topping
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 lb of pasta noodles. Cook according to package instructions or until al dente, about 10-12 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, prepare your vegetables. Wash and chop cucumber, red onion, yellow bell pepper. Halve or quarter cherry tomatoes.
- Once pasta is finished cooking, transfer to a strainer to drain liquid. Run cold water over the pasta until it is fully cooled.
- Transfer cooked pasta to a large bowl and add all chopped veggies.
- Next, pour in 1 cup of Specially Selected Gourmet House Vinaigrette Dressing, 1 Tbsp of dried basil leaves, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Sprinkle shredded Parmesan cheese on top if desired.
- Serve cold or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Click here to find an ALDI near you so you can grab all the ingredients you need for this delicious Healthy Summer Pasta Salad. Be sure to tag us on Instagram @wellnessforthewin and @aldiusa if you give it a try, and share the love by pinning this on Pinterest!