If you know me at all, you know that I LOVE a good margarita. It is actually my drink of choice these days. I’ve always been a beer girl, and I dabble in some hard seltzers, too, but nothing can compete with my beloved margaritas. Today I am sharing the Classic Margarita On The Rocks recipe that Ethan & I whip up all the time! I hope you love it as much as we do!
how to make a Classic margarita on the rocks
Let’s start with the basics here. What ingredients do you need to whip up a good margarita? Here are a few necessities:
- Fresh limes
- Salt, if desired
- Ice (AKA, rocks)
- Triple Sec (orange-flavored liqueur)
- Tres Agaves margarita mix
What is the best tequila for margaritas?
Now, let’s talk tequila. Tequila shots make me cringe, but tequila in a marg? Sign me up. We have recently become partial to one brand in particular, because Ethan happens to know the owner and creator from college. I love supporting local companies whenever I can, especially if I know them personally! And especially if their tequila is the bomb.
The brand we love is called Una Vida Tequila and it is GOOD stuff. It’s also priced very reasonably.
If you live in Kansas City, you can find Una Vida at:
- Lukas Liquor – Overland Park
- Mahoney’s Liquor – Overland Park
- Beer Cave Wine – Overland Park
- Metcalf Discount Liquor – 135th St.
- Empire Wine & Spirits – Overland Park
- Ensminger Retail Liquor – Overland Park
- Rimman Liquor – Lenexa
- Hops & Vines – Lenexa
- Crone Liquors – Olathe
- Kings Liquor – Olathe
- Mike’s Cut Rate – Waldo
- Gomer’s – KCMO
- Missie’s Discount – Shawnee
- Justin’s Discount – Shawnee
And possibly some other locations!
Una Vida has three different kinds of tequila: Blanco, Anejo, and Reposado. We typically use the Blanco, but also love the others. Learn more about the different flavors here.
what’s a good margarita mix?
I recently discovered Tres Agaves margarita mix and I am a huge fan for multiple reasons. (PS: this is not sponsored; we just genuinely LOVE their products.)
Why I LOVE Tres Agaves:
- It is made with real lime & real agave
- No high fructose corn syrup (like many alternatives)
- Certified USDA Organic
- Gluten-free, which is great for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance
- Only four, natural ingredients
- No artificial sweeteners or colors
- Not overly sweet, so you can have multiple margs without getting sick of it ; )
foods to serve with classic margaritas on the rocks
What’s a margarita without a delicious, Mexican feast? Whether it’s Margarita Monday, Taco Tuesday, or just a plain ol’ Wednesday in your house, it’s always a good time for Mexican food and margaritas.
Here are some tasty recipes you could whip up to serve alongside your new favorite margarita recipe.
- Healthy Chicken Enchilada Bake
- At-Home Chipotle Burrito Bowl
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- Sweet Potato Nachos
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Five-Ingredient Guacamole
- Fresh Garden Salsa
- Pan Seared Salmon Tacos
How to salt the rim of your margarita glasses
To be completely honest, I don’t like salt on the rim of my margaritas, but I realize I’m the minority here. Obviously, they are salted in my photos, solely for aesthetic purposes. ; ) This article has a step-by-step tutorial on how to salt the rim of your margarita glasses if you’re into that sort of thing. Check it out here.
Classic Margarita On The Rocks
- 2 oz tequila Una Vida, or brand of choice
- 1 Tbsp Triple Sec
- Juice of 1 lime or 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 3 oz Tres Agaves margarita mix or mix of choice
- 1 cup ice
- Lime wedge to garnish
- Salt on rim if desired
- If desired, salt the rim of your margarita glass(es).
- Combine all ingredients in a low ball glass. Stir well.
- Serve chilled with ice. Garnish with a lime wedge.
Let me know what you think if you try out this recipe! You can totally substitute any kind of tequila and/or margarita mix that you like or have on hand.
If you want some more ideas for yummy drinks, click here to check out Una Vida’s collection of tequila cocktails. Pin this recipe on Pinterest so you can come back to it every time you’re craving a good margarita!
Cheers, friends! : )