Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos are one of my FAV recipes on the blog!
I can’t believe it’s already that time of year again! Football season is wrapping up, and the Super Bowl is rapidly approaching. If you’re anything like me, you go to a Super Bowl party every year specifically for two reasons: 1) To watch the commercials, and 2) To eat delicious food. Half the time I couldn’t even tell you who the two teams are. Anyone else? Okay, great. Glad I’m not alone in that. (PS: I know it’s the Patriots vs. Falcons this year, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t just look that up.)
Whenever we go tailgating before a big game, or go to a Super Bowl party, the food options are typically significantly lacking in the fruit and veggie department. I’m not one to shy away from any delicious food options, even if they are on the less healthy side, but I do love it when there are tasty options available that also happen to be good for me!
That’s why I decided to team up with my friends over at Tailgate Tourist (basically professional tailgaters) — to provide you with some delicious and nutritious recipes you can whip up for Super Bowl parties, tailgates or anytime you are craving a good meal or snack!
There are 3 main categories of foods that I like to see at a tailgate or watch party:
- Finger Foods
- Anything involving the word chili
Throughout the rest of this week, I am going to provide you with some recipes that fall under all three of those categories, and I hope you will love each of them!
First up is my personal favorite: Sweet Potato Nachos!
This recipe has been adapted from Bucket List Tummy’s blog, who also happens to be a Registered Dietitian! Go check out her site for more delicious recipes and awesome information on intuitive eating.
Sweet potatoes are by far my favorite starchy veggie. They are packed with nutrients, such as vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, fiber, and many other vitamins and minerals. Did I mention they also taste like candy? Honestly, I have a hard time trusting people who don’t like sweet potatoes. I mean, what’s not to like?! These nachos might be one of the smartest appetizer inventions I’ve ever come across.
I think it’s safe to say that everyone loves traditional nachos, but I don’t always feel great after eating a whole plate of them by myself. That’s not the case with these SP nachos! Sweet potatoes actually fill me up and provide quality nutrition at the same time. Feel free to load these babies up with some healthy fats in the form of avocados (or homemade guac if you’re feelin’ fancy!), plant protein from black beans, and plain Greek yogurt, plus tons of colorful veggies! This might be something I start eating weekly; not just for game days. They are that good, you guys!
Sweet Potato Nachos
- 2 large sweet potatoes sliced into rounds
- 1.5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen whole corn kernels
- 3/4 cup no-salt-added black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese
Optional Toppings: avocado, plain Greek yogurt, chunky salsa, and/or tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cover large baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice sweet potatoes into ¼ inch rounds and place in large bowl. Add olive oil and spices and arrange evenly over sweet potatoes; toss to evenly coat.
- Transfer sweet potato rounds to baking sheet, and season with fresh cracked black pepper, if desired.
- Bake sweet potatoes for 30-35 minutes, flipping them over at 15 minutes to cook evenly.
- While they are baking, chop up the bell peppers and onion, and slice cherry tomatoes.
- Once sweet potatoes have baked for 30 minutes total, flip once more. They should be close and piled on top of each other; then top with corn, black beans, peppers, onion, tomatoes, and shredded cheese.
- Place baking sheet back in oven and bake for an additional 7 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Here’s a sneak peek at what’s to come. 😉 You won’t want to miss the next few recipes we have in store for you!
Don’t forget to check out @TailgateTourist and @WellnessForTheWin on Instagram and Facebook for an awesome video of the making of this recipe, as well as all of our other Super Bowl-inspired recipes!
Stay tuned for even more healthy, drool-worthy #SuperBowl eats throughout the rest of this week!