Fall is basically upon us, which means it’s time to dust off your slow cooker for the next few months! YAY! Sporting events & fall activities may look a little different this year, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still celebrate at home, and cook up a tailgate feast for ourselves to enjoy! I have partnered up with Cabot Cheese to bring you this Slow Cooker Cheese Dip and I have a good feeling you’re going to love it!
Disclosure: this post is sponsored by Cabot Cheese and I am being compensated monetarily; however, all opinions expressed are my own. Cabot Cheese is a brand we use regularly in our home and absolutely love!
ingredients you need for this slow cooker cheese dip
You don’t need much to make this delicious dip! Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Cabot Cheese Habanero Cheddar Cheese
- Diced Tomatoes
- Yellow Onion
- Diced Green Chilies
- Ground Meat of Choice (beef, venison, chicken, turkey — whatever you like!)
As far as equipment, you just need a medium-sized skillet to cook your meat (if adding) as well as a slow cooker for the cheese dip!
what makes this slow cooker cheese dip a little healthier
I decided to sneak some extra veggies and nutrients into this cheese dip, because, why not? Just meat and cheese is boring anyway! (Okay, my husband and probably many of you would disagree, but I digress.)
I am confident that even the picky eaters in your family will still very much approve of this cheese dip. My brother loved it and didn’t even notice the onions!
Ingredients added for some bonus nutrition:
- Tomatoes: great source of the antioxidant lycopene, which may reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer, as well as vitamin C, potassium and more
- Onion: vitamin C, fiber, quercetin (a flavonoid — category of antioxidants)
- Green chilies: vitamin C and beta carotene
- Jalapeno: vitamin A, C and potassium
- Cabot Cheese: protein, calcium, phosphorus and more
- Beef (or ground meat of choice): protein, iron and vitamin B12
Why cabot cheese is the best choice for this cheese dip
If you have never had Cabot Cheese before, you are MISSING OUT. It is truly the best cheese we have ever had, and I’m not just saying that. The flavor is so rich and the texture is perfect. They have so many delicious varieties and we love them all.
The Seriously Sharp Cheddar is probably our all-time favorite, but we absolutely loved the Habanero Cheddar Cheese for this slow cooker cheese dip. If you don’t like super spicy things, you could definitely sub any of their other cheeses!
Another great thing about Cabot Cheese is that it is naturally lactose-free, making it a wonderful option for anyone that is lactose intolerant, but still wants to enjoy cheese!
Cabot Cheese is a co-operative of farm families that has been in the biz since 1919. In other words, they know their stuff. They are also a Certified B Corporation, which further validates their attention to environmental and social impacts for their consumers, customers, employees and the farm families who own Cabot. I love supporting companies who take sustainability into consideration with their practices, and I know many of you are, too.
optional swaps & substitutions
If you don’t have all of these items on hand or don’t want to add some of them, that is perfectly okay! You can omit any of the vegetables if they aren’t your thing. You can also omit the meat if you want this to be vegetarian.
Feel free to use any kind of onion you like/have. I used a yellow onion, but I think red onion would be delicious in this dip as well. You can also omit the jalapeno for a less spicy version, as well as a more mild Cabot Cheese option in place of the Habanero.
Slow Cooker Cheese Dip
- 16 oz Habanero Cabot Cheddar Cheese or flavor of choice
- 1 lb ground beef or ground meat of choice
- 14 oz diced tomatoes canned or fresh, drained
- 4.5 oz diced green chilies canned
- 1 jalapeno diced (omit if you want less spicy)
- 1 yellow onion diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut blocks of cheese into chunks or slices to help it melt & stir easier. Dice onion and jalapeno.
- In a medium skillet, cook ground beef over medium-high heat until browned. Season with salt and pepper. Drain any grease.
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and add all ingredients: sliced cheese, cooked meat, diced tomatoes and green chilies, jalapeno, and onion.
- Cook for 2.5 hours on low, stirring occasionally, until all cheese is melted and creamy.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days; reheat in the microwave.
I can’t wait to hear what you all think of this Slow Cooker Cheese Dip! Be sure to tag @wellnessforthewin and @cabotcheese on Instagram if you give it a try!