I’m so excited to share the recipe for these 5-Minute Protein Overnight Oats. They have become a total staple for me, and for many of you, too!
Let’s be honest. Who has time to cook breakfast in the morning? Not me, and not 99% of the clients I meet with on a regular basis. We are all in a hurry to get out the door and get to work or class or the gym or wherever it may be on time. Add a couple of dogs or kids to the mix and mornings are even more hectic!
You can still deal with the chaos and get a nutritious breakfast in thanks to these 5-Minute Protein Overnight Oats that you can prepare the night before. These have been such a game changer! Other make-ahead breakfast faves: Healthy Carrot Pumpkin Muffins or Blueberry Pecan Baked Oatmeal — both freezer-friendly!
WHY THESE OVERNIGHT OATS ARE BETTER THAN THE REST
I have to admit; the first few times I tried overnight oats I was NOT a fan whatsoever. I thought eating cold oats was just plain gross, and even after heating them up they were still a little “blah” to me. I tried several different recipes and combinations using pumpkin puree, cacao powder, and all kinds of other fancy stuff. Nothing was impressing me.
However, this combination is delicious, and many of you can back me up on that. If a recipe includes peanut or almond butter, you can almost guarantee I’m going to like it. But seriously, these oats don’t require any weird, obscure ingredients that you will never use again. You might even have everything you need in your fridge & pantry already!
I have even gotten used to eating overnight oats cold (mostly because I’m too lazy to heat them up when I get to work #realtalk) and I like them that way! You can eat them hot or cold; it is totally up to you! Once it starts getting super cold outside, I’m sure I will start heating them up again.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE 5-MINUTE PROTEIN OVERNIGHT OATS
Use a glass mason jar so you can safely stick your oats in the microwave if needed! I snagged several mason jars last time I was at Michael’s specifically for these 5-Minute Protein Overnight Oats. They were less than $2 each. If you want to go the lazy route and have them delivered to your doorstep, here is a pack of 12 for only $8.78!
Keep in mind that this recipe (like all recipes) can be customized according to your preferences. If you like strawberries more than blueberries, or peanut butter over almond butter, feel free to swap them out! You can also use any milk/liquid you like. Sometimes I use unsweetened almond milk, other times I use 1% milk. It just depends what we have on hand and my mood that day! Cow’s milk will provide more protein than almond milk.
5-MINUTE PROTEIN OVERNIGHT OATS: PERFECT FOR MEAL PREP
I love that you can prep several of these at a time on Sunday, or whenever you like to do your meal prep for the week. Just combine all of your dry ingredients and store them in mason jars with the lids on.
The night before you plan to have that serving, add your nut butter, fruit and milk, and shake it up reeeeally well! It only takes a few minutes each night and you’ve got yourself a healthy, balanced and yummy breakfast all week!
If I workout in the morning (which I haven’t been doing much lately thanks to our new puppy), then I will usually eat this along with 1-2 hard boiled eggs. I’m a hungry gal after I workout (and honestly, most of the time). I personally love starting the day with a nice, substantial breakfast, but do whatever works best for you!
5-MINUTE PROTEIN OVERNIGHT OATS ARE FULL OF NUTRITION!
You are pretty much covering all of your bases with these overnight oats!
- Old-fashioned oats = whole grains / carbohydrates
- Berries & banana = 1-2 servings of fruit
- Nut butter = healthy fats
- Milk / protein powder = protein
The combination of fiber from the oats, fruit and chia seeds, plus the healthy fats & protein all work together to keep you full and satisfied for hours after you eat. Did I mention you can grab it & go so as not to add more items to your to-do list in the morning? This is the perfect way to start off your day!
5-Minute Protein Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder or 1 scoop collagen peptides
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 banana sliced
- 1/4 cup blueberries fresh or frozen, or fruit of choice
- 1 Tbsp almond butter or nut butter of choice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, dark chocolate chips, whole grain granola, my ALDI Pumpkin Spice Granola
- Combine all ingredients in a glass mason jar (except toppings). Tightly screw on the lid and shake it to combine well. Use a spoon to stir as needed. Store in refrigerator overnight (for up to 3 days).
- In the morning, serve cold or heat up in the microwave for about 45-60 seconds! Add desired toppings.
- I love Further Food vanilla or chocolate collagen peptides in this recipe! Affiliate code: wellnessforthewin. Click here to shop!
- If you want to use whey protein, I love Clean Simple Eats Vanilla or Cake Batter protein! Affiliate code: wellnessforthewin for 10% off! Click here to shop.
- OffBeat Butters nut butters are AMAZING for these oats, too. My favorite flavors are salted caramel and cinnamon bun. Code: wellnessforthewin for 10% off! Click here to shop.
Breakfast is served! I hope you love these 5-Minute Protein Overnight Oats as much as I do! As always, please tag me in your photos on Instagram if you try out this recipe! I can’t wait to hear what you think. 🙂
Share the love by pinning this recipe on your Pinterest “breakfast” or “meal prep” board!
#WellnessForTheWin #OvernightOats #MealPrep #HealthyBreakfast