I have been dreaming up these Spaghetti Squash Pizza Boats for a long time now, and they finally came to fruition! They are extra delicious thanks to the addition of my favorite brand of cheese, Cabot Cheese! These pizza boats are super easy to make, require minimal ingredients AND they are super easy to customize. You can easily mix up the toppings and throw in any additional veggies or pizza toppings you like.
Disclosure: this post is sponsored by Cabot Cheese, but all opinions expressed are my own! Cabot Cheese is a brand that we genuinely love and use daily in our household, and I am honored to partner with them.
ingredients needed for spaghetti squash pizza boats
I think you will love these pizza boats because they require so few ingredients!
All you need to make them is:
- Spaghetti Squash
- Marinara Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese
- A few spices
- Fresh basil
spaghetti squash pizza boats: step-by-step
Below you will find step-by-step photos and instructions for this recipe in case you are a visual person. Otherwise you can go ahead and skip right to the recipe!
First, poke a few holes in the spaghetti squash using a sharp knife, and stick it in the microwave for a few minutes first! This helps soften it a bit so you can cut it in half safely.
Next, use a spoon and/or fork to scrape out the seeds and stringy part in the middle once you’ve cut it open. I usually use a combination of both to get this part out! Then spray the inside with avocado oil spray, season with some salt and pepper, and place upside down on your prepared baking sheet.
If you are planning to add any extra veggies or mix-ins, saute them in a small skillet in some extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil while the spaghetti squash is baking.
After you bake spaghetti squash in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25-30 minutes, use a fork to scrape the insides and make your “spaghetti”.
Scoop the spaghetti strands into a medium/large bowl and add marinara sauce, shredded Mozzarella cheese, Italian seasoning and additional salt and pepper, and stir to mix well. If you’re mixing in any other veggies or toppings, incorporate them here.
Divide the filling evenly and scoop back into the spaghetti squash skins, then top with additional shredded Mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices. Place back in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Remove from oven and top with fresh, chopped basil, if desired. Serve hot and enjoy!
optional mix-ins to add to spaghetti squash pizza boats
I wanted to keep the recipe as simple as possible, but there is so much you could do with these! Add any traditional “pizza” toppings you like! You could add everything from chopped bell peppers, red onions, mushrooms, etc. or other meats, like ground beef or chicken! I personally loved it with the pepperonis!
why to support cabot cheese as a brand
If you’ve been around a while, you know my love for Cabot Cheese. You might think that all cheese is the same, but you’d be wrong. 😉 Cabot Cheese is superior to all other cheeses out there, in my opinion. It is SO creamy, flavorful and delicious – just trust me on this one. Ethan is basically a cheese connoisseur, and he agrees.
Another thing to love about Cabot Cheese is that they have many varieties that are naturally lactose-free, so even if you are lactose intolerant, you can still enjoy their cheese!
Lastly, and most importantly, I love working with Cabot Cheese because they are so passionate about taking care of the environment, the community and their employees. They are a certified B-corporation and you can learn more about all of their amazing efforts here.
other cabot cheese varieties to add to your pizza boats
I went the traditional route by using Cabot Cheese Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, but they have so many other delicious flavors that I think would taste amazing in this recipe!
Other options to try:
- Seriously Sharp Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Monterey Jack Shredded Cheese
- Mac & Cheese Shredded Cheese
- 5-Cheese Italian Shredded Cheese
- Artisan Pizza Shredded Cheese
Other recipes to try using cabot cheese
Want to try out some other recipes of mine using Cabot Cheese now that I have you hooked, too? Check out these options below!
Spaghetti Squash Pizza Boats
- 3-4 lb spaghetti squash cut in half lengthwise
- 2 cups Cabot Cheese Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 12 pepperoni slices regular or turkey pepperoni
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- Avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil spray
- Fresh cracked salt and pepper to taste
- Italian seasoning to taste
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil chopped
- red onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, any other desired pizza toppings chopped, sauteed
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Wash spaghetti squash. Carefully poke a few holes in it using a sharp knife, then place on microwave-safe dish and cook in microwave for 3-5 minutes. I started with 3 minutes, then added an additional 1.5 minutes. This helps to soften it so you can safely cut it in half longways. (Time will vary depending on size of squash.)
- Use a fork and/or spoon to scoop out the seeds and insides of the spaghetti squash. Discard insides. Spray with avocado oil spray and season with fresh cracked salt and pepper.
- Place seasoned spaghetti squash upside down on prepared baking sheet and place in preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until edges are slightly browned and you can easily scrape out the insides. If you are planning to add any other veggie mix-ins, lightly saute them in some avocado oil while spaghetti squash is baking. Suggestions: red onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc.
- Use a fork to scrape out insides of spaghetti squash after baking. Keep an oven mitt on the other hand, as the spaghetti squash will be very hot. Scoop the insides of both halves into a medium/large bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of marinara sauce, 1 cup Cabot Cheese shredded mozzarella cheese and season with Italian seasoning, fresh cracked salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well. (If you are adding any other veggie mix-ins and already sauteed them, incorporate them here.) Divide the filling evenly and scoop back into the spaghetti squash skins.
- Sprinkle another 1/2 cup of Cabot Cheese shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each half. Top with pepperoni slices (as many as desired). Place back in oven for another 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven, then top with chopped basil for garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I hope you all love these Spaghetti Squash Pizza Boats, too! I can’t wait to see the variations you come up with and which toppings you will add to yours! Be sure to tag us on IG at @wellnessforthewin and @cabotcheese so we can see!