If you haven’t already figured this out, I love Mexican food. There are just so many options and ways to throw similar ingredients together and get a delicious result every. dang. time. PLUS, it’s easy to make them good for you, too! This Healthy Chicken Fajita Soup is packed with protein and alllll the veggies, and it’s super quick and easy to prepare.
ingredients needed for healthy chicken Fajita soup
- Chicken — you can use chicken thigh or chicken breast, I’ve used both!
- White or yellow onion
- Bell peppers — whatever color you like or have on hand
- Black beans
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Extras for toppings: avocado, plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, tortilla chips
how to make healthy chicken Fajita soup
First, add a drizzle of avocado oil to a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and chopped onion and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add all other ingredients — bell peppers, corn, black beans, salsa and chicken broth — and cook over low-medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve hot with desired toppings. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days or freeze in a freezer-safe container for 3 months.
shortcuts to make this recipe even easier
This recipe can literally take close to 20 minutes total (or even less) to make if you use some of these shortcuts. I know most of you are busy like me, and you don’t have time to cook crazy, time-consuming recipes every night. I got you!!!
A few tips for this recipe:
- I have used shredded rotisserie chicken, as well as chicken thigh that was cooked & shredded, then frozen, then thawed when thrown in the soup!
- I love chopping fresh bell peppers and onions and then throwing them in the freezer for times when I’m in a pinch and need something ASAP or just don’t want to chop anything up. You don’t have to do anything special to them! I just put them in a freezer Ziploc bag in a thin, flat layer and that’s it! I’ll use frozen peppers and onions often for my Sweet Potato Nachos, stir fry dishes, cauliflower fried rice, etc.
- Instead of mincing garlic yourself, buy jars of minced garlic! Seriously CLUTCH. So much easier. I get mine from ALDI.
- You can also drain and rinse the black beans ahead of time.
Other easy + healthy mexican recipes to make
Here are some other delicious and easy recipes on my blog that you should try!
- Easy Black Bean Chicken Enchiladas
- Healthy Chicken Enchilada Bake
- Crockpot White Chicken Chili
- Sweet Potato Nachos
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- Pan-Seared Salmon Tacos
- Easy Mexican Corn Dip
Healthy Chicken Fajita Soup
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup corn frozen
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup bell peppers chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken cooked, shredded
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Tortilla chips/strips
- Heat 1 Tbsp avocado oil over medium heat in a medium-sized pot. Add minced garlic and chopped onion and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients and cook over low-medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot and add desired toppings. Store leftovers in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days, or freeze in freezer-safe container for 3 months.
I hope you love this super easy and healthy chicken fajita soup! Be sure to tag me on IG @wellnessforthewin if you give it a try!